It’s summer. And, if you are like me, your calendar is slammed with out-of-town guests, trips, weddings, you name it. If you work full-time, part-time, are a stay-at-home mom (or are just a human for that matter), your wellness may be taking a back seat to all of the necessary to-dos. On top of the schedule, we are taking care of our families, of others and of ourselves. We are busy, which is another issue in itself!
I don’t know about you, but I find myself going through various ebbs and flows of my wellness journey. Certain things work at certain phases of life that can be dependent on circumstances, preferences, motivation level, etc. But, one thing’s for sure, fitness fads don’t last. So it is important to keep a constant in your arsenal, making it that much harder to fall off your personal fitness wagon and even creating momentum for lasting results.
Here are my top 5 fitness essentials that don’t waver with the ever-changing fads:
- Interval Timer App – There is a lot out there on the proven benefits of HIIT workouts. On that note, the Interval Timer App is an amazing tool that can drive your workouts to the next level with precision that breeds accountability. I love the customization feature because I can adjust the workout to fit my needs for particular workouts and always keep a fresh spin on staying active.
- Resistance bands – I use SPRI resistance bands personally as well as in my fitness classes. Resistance bands are phenomenal tools to increase strength without lugging around mass amounts of weight (great for traveling!). Not only are they convenient, they are also cost-effective (yay!). As you strengthen your body, you can also adjust the band resistance accordingly. Mixing up your fitness routine is always a plus. Resistance bands can be combined with other equipment to take the compound exercise to the next level!
- Kettle bells or hand weights – SPRI also makes a great kettle bell (and hand weights), but there are plenty of good brands out there. You don’t need much to make it effective. A LOT can be done with a simple kettle bell or set of weights, especially if you are incorporating a plyometric component into your workouts (a higher impact version of training sometimes referred to as “jump training”). If you only have a 5lb kettle bell or set of weights, no sweat! Just add reps.
- Jump rope – As old school as this sounds, this little piece of equipment is a powerhouse. Do not underestimate the jump rope! Just 10 minutes of roping can pack more of a punch than going for a run.
- Stroller – While this isn’t a piece of equipment used in intensifying a workout, per say, it is crucial for a mom with little ones! This doesn’t apply to everyone – some of us have older kids or have no kids. But, this is my life line, personally. I love to stay moving! I can’t always make it to a Stroller Strides class, to the gym or workout at home. So, the stroller is my best friend on a consistent basis. Many strollers will do, but make sure you are using one that fits your fitness needs.
I would love to hear from YOU on ways to stay active and consistent during the summer! What are your essentials? As always, reach out with any comments or questions – I am here to help!