With the temperatures rising and the days stretching out until 9 pm, there is no denying that Summer is upon us! This season of sunshine and longer days is made for an endless amount of possibilities when it comes to play!
I have a son who is going to be turning 1 in a few weeks. And I am met with bittersweetness, as I am sad to lose my baby but excited to watch him grow, I am realizing that he is much more mobile and we can participate in so many more activities. I have found that watching him navigate the world and discover everything around him this past year has been such a beautiful experience. As he has grown and shown his curiosity for new things it made me want to start finding more things for him to discover though exploration and imagination. While I did find a few nice things to do, I noticed as I searched for places to visit many of the activities and events were for kids just a little older than him. While there are some really great Mommy and Me events all around the tri-county area the majority of the happenings are for ages 3 and up. After some thought I realized that this Summer could be just as exciting and inclusive if we make our own adventures! So I started to compile a Summer Bucket List that specifically applies to the (age) 2 and under crowd!
We already have checked a few things off of our list, but we have many more to achieve! While keeping in mind that this age group is still trying to discern how the world works and using their own brands of ingenuity while at play, they are able to create some lasting impressions along the way.
Here are 20 Summer Bucket List things to try
1. Visit a Library Story Time
2. Plant a vegetable garden/ flowers/ herbs
3. Playground hopping
4. Spend the day a local pool and/or splash pad
5. Take a family hike
6. Camp out in the back yard
7. See fireworks
8. Attend a music festival or music in the park
9. Try a new craft
10. Visit The Pittsburgh Children’s Museum
11. Splash in mud and rain puddles
12. Have a picnic
13. Visit relatives
14. Have nap time outside
15. Go feed the ducks/ birds/ fish
16. Go to a car show or attend a Touch-A-Truck event
17. Bubbles- making them, blowing them, using a bubble machine, etc
18. Get ice cream at a new place once a month
19. Visit a beach- local or otherwise
20. Play on the Water Steps on a hot day